Wednesday, March 27, 2019

El Anatsui

I chose El Anatsui, Red Block, 2010. What I liked about this artist is that he gave no instruction to the people that were setting it up. He said that there was no certain angle or way that his art should be set up in order to take something from it. A lot of his works reminded me of blankets that have just been left from in the morning unmade. It lays or falls so beautifully, delicately, and comfortably. This one stood out to me a bit because of the monotone reds he used throughout all of it differed from the other multicolored pieces he does. This one not only reminds me of a falling stage curtain but gave me a sense of toughness unlike the other ones. When I first saw it I thought of paper that was in the process of being crumbled. I like the diversity that can be seen in his work no matter how it is displayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment