Thursday, January 31, 2019

David Smith


This sculpture is known as Cubi XVII. It was created by David Smith, who was an American abstract expressionist sculpture and painter. Smith made a lot of similar sculptures that were in the same category as this one. This sculpture was made in 1963 out of polished stainless steel.  I find it remarkable that he was able to sculpt this work of art out of stainless steel. I could not imagine how hard that would be, especially since I have never even used steel to make art before. I chose this sculpture out of his Cubi Series because of how he placed the objects. I love how it looks like they fit just right to make all the pieces look balanced. Furthermore, it reminds me of times when you are trying to hold it all together, but if one more problem arises you will fall apart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment